Sunday, October 16, 2016

The Gift of Language


Prompt: Move

// Language is such a curious construct and is the particular gift of humanity. Other creatures have methods of communicating certain basic needs/commands, but only humans use complex language to communicate deep thoughts and almost inexpressible emotions. Almost, but not quite. Because words somehow have the power to capture the essence of our existence and experience in truly magical ways. Ways that move us.


This gift of language is a powerful tool, a weapon even, to bring real, substantial, measurable change. Astounding. Recently I’ve been working through Proverbs with my children, discussing the power of words and our need to be so very careful with them. In the midst of this I’ve almost grown afraid of words myself, not wanting to misuse such a powerful force. “He who holds his tongue is wise.” 


But words are not only powerful for destructive purposes; they are also powerful to bring life and healing. It is wise to be careful with our words, to have the “safety” on, so to speak; but it is also wise to use our words purposefully to build up, soothe, make peace, foster understanding and unity, and to love.


This is how I want to use my words – to invest in those around me, communicating my love, my acceptance of them in all their quirkiness and uniqueness. To help them see, as others have helped me, the glorious beauty of this world we inhabit and the source of all the beauty in the One who created the cosmos. //


I am continuing on with my Write 31 Days theme of "31 Days to Slowing Down and Living More Simply" with reflections based on my reading of Emily P. Freeman's book Simply Tuesday and the prompts given at the FMFW page. My "Five Minute Free Write" portion will be enclosed with // and any extra thoughts will follow.







No comments:

Post a Comment