Thursday, October 27, 2016

One Step to Global Impact


Prompt: Global


// Yesterday our family dinner conversation centered around the question of whether or not one person can change the world. It was interesting to hear what the kids thought about this. Most of them were quick to say, “no.” I began to think of people who I would say have changed the world and tried to explain what that meant.


I was struck by the thought that the people I think of as changing the world, like Mother Teresa, didn’t actually set out to change the world at all. They simply met the need right in front of their face, in their little space on the map (whether they traveled to get there or not), and loved one person at a time. 


But because love and self-sacrifice is that powerful, because it is inspirational and transformative and beautiful and shining, it spread out and touched the whole world. There are many acts of love and sacrifice every day that may never be noticed by the world at large, but I wonder, in the unseen realms, about the ripple effect. 


“Oh, like Harriet Tubman?!?” my kids asked. //


YES. Exactly. She just set out to risk her own life to save a few others, and then more and more and more. How could she know that her love and courage would still shine today? They have profoundly impacted my own children. They have changed the world.


I am continuing on with my Write 31 Days theme of "31 Days to Slowing Down and Living More Simply" with reflections based on my reading of Emily P. Freeman's book Simply Tuesday and the prompts given at the FMFW page. My "Five Minute Free Write" portion will be enclosed with // and any extra thoughts will follow.









No comments:

Post a Comment