Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A Study in Love



Prompt: Study


I study their faces, looking for something, a spark of familiarity, a connection. I imagine seeing that face every day for the rest of my life, seeing those eyes crinkling up for me. Seeing joy, security, and hope where there was uncertainty, fear, and loneliness. I am floored at the thought that I could have a part in that. I am awed to think of those who have played such a role. 


I study the Scriptures, hoping for something that gives me a go ahead, that makes my longing a mandatory obedience. But I can’t find it. So I study more, looking for the peace to accept the “no” I don’t want to hear. I study the job that has been given to me, turning my attention and mental energy toward the things that I can be certain I am called to. 


But then when I least expect it those faces come flooding back, bringing with them tears I can’t hold in. I love these little souls that I’ve never met, however impossible that seems. Selfishly I want to move on and disengage from an invested interest in their fate, but love keeps pulling me back. To hold within my heart a perpetual wound for the hurting… I hope it can generate a productive prayer campaign and allow me to participate, however impersonally and from a distance, in the battle for these souls. 


This doesn't actually have anything to do with my Write 31 Days theme of "31 Days to Slowing Down and Living More Simply" with reflections based on my reading of Emily P. Freeman's book Simply Tuesday, but the prompt from FMFW for today just brought this flood of thoughts that begged for the outlet of writing them down. I didn't time it today but just let my mind struggle for the right expression to convey my heart.









No comments:

Post a Comment